Recent Fire Damage Posts

Ozone Sanitation- Deodorization

3/9/2023 (Permalink)

Walk-In Closet affected by smoke damage. Excessive soot on clothing and all surfaces of the closet A walk-in closet with excessive smoke damage. Soft goods (clothing) were laundered and then received an ozone treatment to eliminate smoke odour.

Odour problems from smoke? Pets? mould?

In the restoration industry we use a technique called Ozone Sanitation to remove odour.

What is Ozone??? Simply put, it is oxygen with a higher energy level, sometimes called activated oxygen. It is highly reactive blue colored gas with a distinct smell.

Ozone (O3) contains three atoms of oxygen rather than two. Ozone can oxidize all types of materials and can eliminate odours by releasing and binding the extra oxygen molecule. Over time (usually a day or so) that molecule with dissipate and go back into its original form of oxygen……removing the odour…ta da!

SERVPRO of Kelowna offers this service using trained technicians, proper equipment and following safety guidelines.

In short, we place the affected items (let’s say in this case a couch which has been in a home that was smoked in) into a vaporproof room. From there we electrically put Ozone in with a generator, using air movers to allow the ozone to disperse throughout the room.

After the couch spends a day in the ozone room and a few additional days “airing out” (letting the O3 dispel back to O2) the couch will have little to no lingering odour of smoke!!!

Ozone is EPA approved and environmentally friendly.

Not everything can go into a microwave!

5/3/2021 (Permalink)

Inside of a microwave that caught on fire in a home in West Kelowna, BC. The microwave caught fire due to user Inside of a microwave that caught on fire in a home in West Kelowna, BC. The microwave caught fire due to user heating up a take-out container.

Microwaves are the second most common cause of residential kitchen fires! Here is a list of items that SHOULD NEVER go in a microwave:

  •  Paper bags
  • Take-out containers
  • Metal/Aluminum Foil
  • Styrofoam
  • Grapes (They will explode and could catch on fire)
  • Cookware with metal trim
  • Plastic storage containers without a “Microwave Safe” label
  • Nothing (When there's nothing in the microwave to absorb the microwaves, the microwave can actually catch fire or cause damage to the microwave)

Thanksgiving Dinner Fire Safety

10/8/2020 (Permalink)

Cooked turkey and ingredients on a table with note "Thanksgiving Dinner Fire Safety Tips" Happy Thanksgiving from the SERVPRO of Kelowna Team

Oct 4 to 10th is “Fire Safety” week. As many of us will be gathering to enjoy a yummy Thanksgiving feast this weekend, we wanted to provide some reminders and tips for your Thanksgiving dinner:

  • Ensure your smoke alarms are connected and working
  • Never leave your food unattended. Use a timer and routinely check you’re cooking
  • If frying or deep-frying, keep the fryer outside, away from walls and moisture
  • Ensure pot holders and food wrappers are always at a safe distance from the stove
  • Avoid wearing dangling accessories or loose clothes while cooking
  • Never douse a grease fire with water!! Turn off the burner, smother the flames, or douse with baking soda……or use a fire extinguisher
  • Keep a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen, and know how to use it

Home Fire Safety Checklist

8/17/2020 (Permalink)

Fire fighters extinguishing a house fire in West Kelowna, BC Fire fighters extinguishing a house fire in West Kelowna, BC

A fire in your home is devastating, and sadly many times could have been avoided. Ensuring your home is fire safe on a regular basis is crucial for prevention. Below is a fire safety checklist to use. Protect what’s most important…your family, loved ones and home.

  • Ensure each level of your home has a working fire alarm and carbon monoxide detector
  • Clean vents/air ducts & dryer vent
  • Check appliances (even hair dryers and lamps) for worn or frayed cords (Damaged cords should be replaced and discarded)
  • Avoid “knock-off” electrical products (these products can easily overheat or short circuit)
  • Check extension cords and wall sockets- do not overload
  • Do not run cords under rugs or carpeting
  • Change your air filter and inspect your furnace
  • Check your range hood and fan are fully vented and remove greasy buildup
  • Create a fire escape plan with your family
  • Prepare a home emergency kit
  • Create a home inventory of your belongings (Take pictures or make a video)
  • Invest in a fire proof safe to keep all your irreplaceable/important documents protected

Did you know? According to the province of BC, in 43% of home fires causing a loss of life, there was no working smoke alarm. Be prepared, be safe.